Friday, January 9, 2015

See these two house plants? They don't register on my list of things to do. I expend no perceivable concern or planning on these plants. They aren't a burden or trouble. I never feel their needs infringing on my own. I like them. They make oxygen. I'm told they help clean the air, somehow. They sure do grow well. The aloe has legendary healing qualities and the other is a patchouli plant. Yes, like the perfume. And its leaves smell just like that. I always thought patchouli was a mix of herbs. So that's kind of cool. But otherwise, these plants don't often hit my radar.

When I was in my early 20s I couldn't keep a plant alive. I tried. I felt some vague pressure from the universe to have a plant. But they always died and not before managing to feel burdensome. I'm pretty sure I can remember actually resenting their neediness. Stupid plants needing five tenths of a minute of watering time once a week!

But most of my friends were the same way. And, looking back, it makes me wonder. I mean, how selfish and unreliable can an average person be? Very selfish and unreliable, apparently. I think keeping a plant alive for a year might be a good requirement for graduation from high school. At least kids would be exposed to responsibility for something tangibly alive and real.

2 comments:

  1. This made me happy, K. At that age, by the time I graduated high school, I had a sassy, happy baby almost a year old, and was pregnant with another. That baby is taller than me by almost a foot and outweighs me by almost a hundred pounds. But he's still my baby. My mother calls him, "Our little Johnny." And Dan, born when I was 18? He took me right by the heart at first sight.

    And I have said many times, I'm glad the kids were heartier than plants because plants are tricky. If one grows well in a certain place in my house, I never move it because I don't even know what's working.

    love always, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, I was thinking of you and my two other friends who had babies well before age 18, when I posted this. I don't think its possible to fully grow up before having children. Apparently,13 years of standard academics just doesn't grow souls very well. But then, I do know people who have babies and manage not to fully grow up, so...

    Love to you! xo

    ReplyDelete