Saturday, February 1, 2014

I always prick up my ears when I hear veteran unschooling moms talk about what and how their kids handled the high school years:

 ...2 of mine took a few classes, but K and J never set foot in a high school class. I let them choose. S did an online program - Keystone and then American School, earned an actual diploma - by 14. School sort of bored them, the teachers telling them things instead of the method they were used to -teaching themselves. I know plenty of unschooled kids who entered high school without having ever done any organized "learning", one girl I know entered high school knowing the equivalent of about 4th grade math, but despite that handicap caught up within a few months and graduated with honors. Most homeschoolers I know, regardless of teaching method, know how to teach themselves and find the lecturing of a teacher boring but adapt fine. High school isn't that hard, and the maturity of kids makes it easier to catch up than say, being 6 and trying to learn to read. I read somewhere that you could be totally illiterate at 20 and be able to learn everything in a high school curriculum in 2 years or less. ~ Doc

1 comment: