Monday, September 9, 2013

My daughter, as I just mentioned, learned how to make pastry this weekend. I happen to be really good at making pastry. I know, its not exactly rocket science. Except that almost no one does it in our society anymore and most average folks think its a difficult thing to do. Anyone can do it. Many don't do it well. My daughter asked me a couple of questions, banished me from the kitchen, and went to work with a book of her choosing---a book I would not have chosen for her. And she crushed it.

Similarly, last week she decided to make a skirt for herself. Her Grandmother is a professional seamstress. There is nothing her Grandmother can't sew and not much she hasn't. I'm decent enough with a needle and thread. Dear girl asked us exactly nothing. She noticed fabric, researched technique on youface, and proceeded to make herself a skirt with a zipper that is lovely. All without ever referring to a physical pattern. She wore it out Friday night. Yeah, again, she crushed it.

Do y'all understand what I'm saying? She free handed a very precise garment. Free handed. Because I know how to sew I can tell you, that is badass. Most people can't do that. Most people can't free hand a circle on a piece of paper with a pencil. Don't believe me? Try it. More importantly, this is what self directed learning looks like. When you aren't dependent on authority to tell you how or why or when, you just get busy doing, and there isn't much you can't do.

My son is learning as well. But his learning doesn't involve stuff I can photograph. A bunch of it might not even involve things I understand. I have no idea what he spends most of his time thinking about. But he keeps gets smarter all the time. Mostly reading books and researching things online I would never choose for him. He reads most days, all day. I know he's interested in Chemistry and because of that, he works at math skills. Then he chills out playing video games.

ps: Wow, I just noticed how stereotypical and gender biased we sound. Consider that sewing is the study of geometry and cooking is chemistry. My girl reads all the time as well as her brother. Everyone had access to both trucks and dolls growing up. My son lived in a dress and "sparkle party shoes" when he was little. And my daughter has, by far, a more aggressive personality. We are who we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment