Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A few months ago we studied Malcolm X. Yesterday we listened to Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech and next month we have tickets for "The Mountaintop." After the speech we had a talk about how recent and pertinent this history is. My brother was alive when Martin Luther King gave that speech. I remember that time, the free flowing hatred, and the fear. I most wanted the kids to understand racism in their distant ancestors, in family too smart to admit it now, and even in myself. I tried hard to impress upon them the idea that we need to examine ourselves deeply, with regard to prejudice because its a human impulse rooted in fear and we are all susceptible to fear.

Its curious to me that they never asked what my prejudice is. When they didn't ask, I offered that my own brand of prejudice is not based on skin color in any way. They didn't want to know more. Its possible they simply wanted me to stop talking. There is no bell to save you from verbosity in homeschool. Plus, its a topic that hurts. No matter what, it hurts.

The catch phrase for our family this fall, with a raised fist: 
"No freedom till we're equal. Damn right I support it."

No comments:

Post a Comment