Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Go read Stand Up That Mountain: The Battle to Save One Small Community in the Wilderness Along the Appalachian Trail. By Jay Erskine Leutze

Don't read it because I said so, because I grew up with Jay, because I've been in that very cabin and on that bald, nor because I've carried a buckeye nearly my whole life. Read it because it is one of the most important books written this century.

"In 1999 thirteen states had asked the EPA to clarify their authority to regulate automobile emissions. The states were alarmed when, under the new Bush administration, the EPA signaled that it had no such authority. When Massachusetts sued to force the agency to regulate pollution--the founding mission of the agency--the agency argued in court that it should be free not to regulate pollution. It was crazy. ...It was hard to look at."


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it awesome to see what our friends do with their lives? Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is!!! CC, I just returned a copy to our little town library, if you're interested. xo

    ReplyDelete