Wednesday, December 26, 2012

What if you only know two things about George Fox? That he's the father of The Religious Society of Friends. And sitting in a jail cell in the 1600s he wrote that we are all radically free.

What does radical freedom mean, especially from the context of jail? It has to mean we are free to love in all ways at all times and most generally despite our inclinations. Or, as Val said, "Kindness matters most." Or as Haven said, "Love is the hardest lesson."

And if this is a religious lesson, based on faith in Higher Love, how does one catch the faith, get suffusethed with light, and proceed on a radically loving path? That would be me with my fanny clenched against fear and hurt feelings trying to walk at the same time. I'm just supposed to renounce all that negativity, drop Jacob Marley's chains of emotional baggage, and proceed in the light?

It seems so easy, so self evident. But look how often that actually happens... And in the meantime, what if you're surrounded by folks who aren't exactly holding up candles against the dark.

3 comments:

  1. Thank You!!!!!

    I've been a Quaker by choice for ten years, because as a Catholic I failed, because I could not figure why I would be set up for failure with original sin, and then have to be saved from the way I was created. It was a tautology and offended my pride. I just could not abide by it. Your post sent me searching a little deeper, and I came across a most freeing piece of information. Apparently Quakers share this belief! How cool!


    "The Inner Light had two main purposes. The first was to help individual people come to know the will of God and to distinguish good from evil. Second, since the Inner Light was a part of the Spirit of God, every person was already part of God. There was no need to be saved by Jesus, as most Christian denominations taught. When a person died, his or her soul and the Inner Light would connect back to God. The Quakers did not believe in hell or damnation for Quakers."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of that quote, where did I hear it? From you, maybe. "Turn to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a quote from Helen Keller. I don't think you heard it from me, though. It hangs on a plaque in my MIL's house.

    ReplyDelete