Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"To what are you held captive? Fear, anger, avarice, greed, lust, gluttony, despair? Do you drag your past or your belongings behind you like Jacob Marley's chains?"

My husband and I sat on the couch in the early dark dawn of Christmas Eve discussing our failings. I read an article that said, to paraphrase: If you are reading a parenting book that says anything other than Fix Yourself, you are likely reading the wrong book. Its an idea I've run across many times and I've seen its worth in action. If a child has a problem its a safe bet there is a parent who needs fixing. Fixing the parent often fixes the child. Parents: sometimes it IS your fault. Get yourself together and your kids will probably be fine.

I am friends with the head of pediatric dermatology at Duke University. When he sees teenagers with profound acne, he often sends the parents for psychotherapy. And that ALONE will usually clear up their children's skin. How's that for alternative? I asked why that works, he answered: stress causes acne. Head of Pediatric Dermatology at Duke, you heard me right.

My husband and I actually have very few worries, beyond the old standards of bad luck and missed opportunities, about our children. But we both have plenty of failings and we both come from rather broken families. And so, periodically, we review it all. What are we missing? Where do we need to improve? He was stoic, genuine, and fearless in his self assessment. I wept into my coffee. I recalled the redemption of Scrooge and the uncanny timely words of a Christmas letter from a dear friend.

Do I drag my past behind me like Jacob Marley's chains? Yes, I think I do. Does this affect my children? I don't know how, exactly, but it must. Dear children, I'm so sorry. I'm working on it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure things are finer than you know, K.

    And if you're looking for inspiration, Whole Child, Whole Parents is my favorite. Polly Berrien Berends wrote it. The updated version is an improved read.

    And then that old classic transactional analysis beauty: Self Esteem: A Family Affair by Jeanne Illsley Clarke.

    It's like Whole Child is the theory and Self Esteem is the method.

    You'll see things are going great. Everything important is already happening.

    love you, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are so honest about how hard it is to evaluate what you are carrying. Yesterday, Christmas Day, I looked at my 13 year old and recognized how she was "mirroring" back to me an issue. It's one I'm not sure how to fix in myself, but at least now I am aware. I too want to say "I'm so sorry" to my girls. I think that it is a good thing for them to know we are continuously examining and working on our own stuff. Maybe there is a little comfort there?
    Glad to have found your blog...wandered over from Penelope Trunk's site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy Jane
    Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. Its most searing when we see our failings in our children, huh? But I think you're right, it is a comfort that we are trying--consciously. And I believe in apology. Some folks don't...isn't that strange?
    Cheers,
    P. Flooers

    ReplyDelete