Monday, December 3, 2012

What do they remember of their childhood? An older homeschooling mother was explaining to me, last week in the park, how her children seem to remember all the bad stuff and difficulty most. And I've noticed the same thing about my kids. If a memory comes up in conversation, its invariably about some mistake I made or general parenting failure. "Yeah Mom, remember that time you were furious... you broke that... you told us we had to... you took away... " But really, I think these are just the moments that make good stories. Hey Mom, remember that time you loved us without losing your patience once, the house looked workably well organized, and every meal was served hot every day for two solid weeks? That story lacks dramatic punch (as well as, erm, the ring of truth?)

What I remember about four and a half years of co-sleeping with the children is how dear and precious it was to be there to hear their first waking thoughts. Into the dawning light a small voice would ring, "have you ever really thought about forks?" Or on another day, "Have you ever really thought about a bar of soap?" Apparently dawn is for deep thoughts, babies are for cuddling, and there is no reason to make anyone sleep alone through the night. How I wish I could have fully understood attachment parenting before I had children. Ah well, we do the best we can with the information available at the time. Never mind the legend of the first night I pressed our daughter to sleep in her own bed all night. Naturally THAT was the night it rained inside our house. For real, actual rain in the house, a downpour, and a baby alone confused and worried in her own big girl bed. Good job, Mom! Four and half years of co-sleeping summed up in one huge parenting fail. See what I mean?

Felting is my favorite holiday tradition in our family. I look forward to seeing the old felted decorations, as well as making new ones. This year, inspired by Moonrise Kingdom, a brilliant movie, I am making Raccoon Patch ornaments for children who aren't receiving socks. I know, wow, socks and patches! Am I the greatest Auntie ever?! Poor kids. But I just can't force myself to slog through the whole drippy commercial season without pausing to create and give something personal. I think food with a felted decoration will be my new standing family gift. It will mean more, hopefully, over time. Plus, as a kid I always loved getting food.

Uncle Ronald always gave us packages of Lance Crackers. Nekot are my favorite. Can you think of anything simpler or more humble? I cherish even the sight of these "cookies" because of the memories. And hey, could a product be more commercial? Nope. Still, precious as ever. Thanks Uncle Ronald!

No comments:

Post a Comment