Monday, December 17, 2012

I've mentioned, many times over the years, how pleasantly startled I am when I get those moments of recognition that unschooling really works. I believe it works. I enjoy our unschooling life. I see my kids growing and changing and getting smarter. But still, its very difficult to buck the system. Humans are community dwelling apes. We aren't really hardwired to shun the will of the group easily. Especially when it comes to raising the baby apes.

So when one of my kids spends time voluntarily wrestling down Edgar Allen Poe or the other one cranks out a seven page short story that is pretty dog gone tight and well written by any standard, let alone judging the first attempt of a 12 year old, when one decides to study math in earnest, when I see them both slowly developing what looks like intellectual calm, I try to pause and remember unschooling works.  We aren't running on faith here. We are running on results. Sure, that pleases my ego as a mother.

But as a former school teacher and as a human being, what really pleases me most is the idea that we can  do this better. There are easier and more effective ways to educate the baby apes. Scholars are beginning to take note and I am filled with a warm happy glow at the thought of something better, less corporate and bureaucratic, more loving and intelligent, for society's children.

I'm sure we are all aware of the new common core standards of education for public school. The people who decide such things, the people who formally dictate how to educate the baby apes, the most penultimate scholars (one would hope) have decided to move children away from fiction. They will be forced, instead, to read non fiction. Perhaps that makes you swallow hard? Perhaps your mind quickly searches for something high-minded enough to replace fine literature. Ah, you think of essayists and rest a moment. E.B. White, Frederick Douglass, Ralph Waldo Emmerson, Craig Childs... You have to cast a broad net, but you can see possibilities. Force yourself to recall that St. John's College teaches from original documents only. Perhaps the common core standards will have children pouring over The Constitution and The Bill of Rights and, um... other really important non fiction documents. Right?

The most biggest smartest apes have decided what to teach the baby apes. We shall teach them how to read instruction manuals. And 70% of student reading shall come from non fiction sources. Seriously? It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to take institutional education seriously. Something is really wrong with those big fat-headed apes over there. They are bumbling simple and crude.

A poet is someone who can pour light into a cup 
then raise it to nourish 
your beautiful, parched, holy mouth. 
~Hafiz

3 comments:

  1. The big apes have jobs that pay for mortgages and after school programs and food, and they are afraid of going hungry and homeless. I talk to them daily. It's all they know. These apes sit at desks and scratch their heads asking hings like, "What is it you are doing over there in non-formal education (aka: outdoor, citizen-science learning where kids are challenged to formulate and ask answerable questions). Can we get in on that?" And what you say is sadly and critically true. The idea of school has always been to have drones to run the machines. Some drones show early aptitude in some areas, and get shoved to the top of the ladder where they take the only available rung. Others who catch up, and could exceed past them, never even have a chance. The spot is filled. Today, there is a general notion that we are so fuc*ed by our own technology and innovations, (GMOs and carbon emissions) that our only hope is more technology. So, there's no time for anything "creative" because those people will be self-made anyway. Their innate aptitude and opportunities will allow them to become innovators, and we only need one in a million. The rest have to work, follow instructions, and join the assembly line. The Industrial Revolution repeats again. Follow the money, and the education standards are close behind. It is exactly what you say: the education-industrial-military complex. The more I see, the less I want to see. I have my own little rant on education I think I'll go post on my rag. Thanks for your deep belief!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And keep sharing the sources for the warm happy glow, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The warm glow of scholarly recognition:
    http://jual.nipissingu.ca/

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn

    ReplyDelete