Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Perhaps this semester is titled Homeschooling Through Netflix? Today we watched "To Kill A Mockingbird".  I explained to the children there are some topics that are simply painful and difficult to discuss. But that racism is part of their family history, their cultural history as southerners, and an ongoing concern now. I told them they need to understand how it was, why, how it is and how its changing. Harper Lee gives us as good a place to start as any. The kids were moved by her telling of the truth. And Dear Girl reminded us, because she's already heard it on tape, the book is much richer than the movie.  Life Is So Good ~George Dawson, will be a followup text read out loud together, I think.

I'm going to try overwintering spinach, beets, cilantro, and carrots. I got the first two in the ground today.

No comments:

Post a Comment