Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Case in point:
A Troubling Chant on the Convention Floor
Racism At the GOP Convention

"The chanting carried on for nearly a minute while most of the other delegates and the media stood by in stunned silence. The Puerto Rican correspondent turned to me and asked, “Is this happening?” I said I honestly didn’t know what was happening—it was astonishing to see all the brittle work of narrative construction that is a modern political convention suddenly crack before our eyes. None of us could quite believe what we were seeing: A sea of twentysomething bowties and cowboy hats morphing into frat bros apparently shrieking over (or at) a Latina."

Few racist people, even within my own family, are able to see themselves clearly. The most important lesson of racism is to see it within yourself first. For me, this happened on a playground in 3rd grade when I sat down on the blacktop to workout for myself the morality of the word nigger. Chalk one up for public school---the singularly only good thing have to say about the institution. Bussing did begin to help quell racism at first, though I think that whole agenda has devolved. One only need look as far as our prisons to see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment