Monday, July 23, 2012

Recently seen: "creativity takes courage" Ain't that the truth?

I've been up all hours and finding myself inspired by SarahJane, a children's artist. She designs fabrics and her style leans nautical, traditional, vaguely preppy, and sweethearted. Its been so long since I indulged fabric whimsy. Resist. RESIST! resist? Uh oh, also see: Alewives Fabrics

I'm unclear what to do for the sick chicken. She's spent three days in an egg box resting. Every time I go check on her I'm braced to find her dead. Yet, she keeps improving. Though, in a worrying tentative way that doesn't inspire much confidence. She doesn't move much, sleeps all day. She puts her face down sometimes. A face down chicken is just not what you want to see.

For two days I could get her to eat nothing. Then, this past evening, Dear Girl convinced Face Down Chicken to drink several sips of milk. Nothing would do but milk straight directly from the goat, still warm. Tulip was happy to oblige. Dear Girl has the touch.

I held our chicken in my lap this afternoon and bathed her face in warm saltwater. Her feet feel fevered. The swelling on the side of her head is receding. Her eye socket, though, is not even close to opening. The clump of bloody dried goo isn't even my concern. Its the color of the situation, the wrong texture, and the swelling. But worst, its her most tender tiny small little moans of pain that only happen when I'm trying to help. I put her back in her box.

At night the baby chicks crowd around her for bedtime sleepovers. Like children piling in around grandmother. Tonight she put a wing over one of them, their beaks rested side by side on the lip of the egg box, face out to the fresh evening air.

I fear I'm not helping. Not offering help is worse, though, isn't it? First, do no harm.

5 comments:

  1. Hum...I'm fearing possible Newcastle Disease.

    Damnit, I hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, poor chicken. What is Newcastle Disease?
    love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newcastle Disease is NOT GOOD. I'm praying she doesn't have it. Because if she does, the guvment is going to kill all my chickens. And the little flock we hatched this spring. Ugh. I'm almost sorry I called the vet. Though, its the right and responsible thing. Let it be known, I actually did the RIGHT thing for once. The sucky wrong right thing. All we can do now is hope she tests negative when she dies. And no matter what they say this morning, I'm having her put down today. She has suffered long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That's not good. I googled it, but still didn't understand the whole flock would have to be destroyed. Sorry about your poor sick chicken too. love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well as of 3:30 the gov. hasn't called back. I did my part. Perhaps they decided my little flock doesn't pose enough threat. Good. I'm going to end her suffering, leave her out for the possum tonight, and be done with it. There will never be proof of what she had. And the rest of the flock will live just fine.

    Why kill all the RESISTANT ones? So later Monsanto can decide only their GMO chickens can be allowed on the market--special modified resistant chickens? Let's not even joke about such a thing. Its already happening with other species. Fuck 'em.

    ReplyDelete