Monday, July 23, 2012

I spend most of my time reading. Reading online is like falling into a maze of worm holes most of which are empty, vague. The internet is hypnotic and addictive. It pulls me out of my body, out of the house, and leaves me wanting only to fall through more worm holes. Invariably I come up worried, with a sense of having lost time on earth, and behind in duties of which I'm no longer aware.

Reading books is always specific, detailed, congruent, and often moving. Books locate me in my body, give me a yearning and sympathy for the world with a craving to get involved. Such that, getting up to wash dishes or drop salt water in a chicken's eye feels like the next right thing to do in a day, after some reading time.

Reading books inspires me. Writing online and viewing images also inspires me. Reading online is a huge danger zone for me, no better than watching vapid television, a lifestyle I used to shun.

2 comments:

  1. For me, online reading is like time wasted on reading out of a huge pile of magazines. One article leads to the next and the next and it makes me feel restless and annoyed too. love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good analogy, Val. Surfing around online makes me restless and annoyed too. I was struck by the physical difference yesterday, very clearly. Book reading has a different neurology about it.

    Online friendships though, pure loveliness. Love to you. K

    ReplyDelete