Monday, June 4, 2012

We have a broody hen and a friend brought over 20 fertile eggs for her to sit upon. The eggs were due to hatch in a week. I was dubious they would hatch at all. They arrived in a box from a street fair, with unknown provenance. But the hen was happy to have them and it was no skin off our nose. Twice I found broken eggs in her nest, which I discarded. Twice I found new (non-fertile) eggs from my other hens, in her nest. Which I removed.

Today my daughter flew into the house shouting, "Mom Mom Mom, there is a broken egg in the nest!!!" I followed her out with a settled heavy heart, expecting to discard more eggs--not an especially good sign.

Imagine my surprise when I gently lifted broody to discover three completely dry chicks with two more pipped. I swear, it looked to me like there were 10 dry chicks hatched. Excitement fuddled my eyes. What a fun and remarkable turn of yet unplanned events! The rest of our afternoon was given over to helping. Which, after moving her nest down to the ground, has meant Intent Watching.






1 comment: