Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I've been lost in the wilds of the Namib reading The Sheltering Desert by Henno Martin. My son loaned me his copy, which was a gift from friends from South Africa and Namibia. Its the true story of two young German men in the late 1930s who decided to skip the war by disappearing into the desert. It is a fascinating book that immerses you in the heat and sand with the gemsbok and a constant search for water and the meaning in life.
Contrasted with life outside my front door this exceptionally long cool season which used to be spring but should now feel more like summer. The runner beans have scooped up the tomato plants, with a most gentle and tender twining. Daisies are blooming through bean leaves. Carrots, beets, chard, fennel, and several kinds of flowers are thriving. The land around here is damp and banging green. Figs will ripen in a few weeks. Milk is flowing.

4 comments:

  1. You know, it breaks my heart to see your son turn into a man, I don't know why, but it does. Oh well, there's still Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It makes my heart soar like an eagle...and it also makes my heart a little bit sore." <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at beautiful girl.

    I love reading so much I started reading that story too..right out of the photo! The words reminded me of what Millie tells the children, as she simultaneously reminds me that I do not have to be depressed when I cannot globe trot with my kids, "You can go all over the world with a book."

    What a sweet family photo.

    Can you believe this cold? I lit a fire today. I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This morning I walked around wrapped in a frickin SCARF! I love it, but sheesh...

    ReplyDelete