Thursday, March 22, 2012

Today we introduced two new vocabulary words: solidarity and ephemeral.

We will stand in solidarity with all mothers to see that our children and especially our young black men are safe in the streets.

To underscore the lesson, we drove to the gas station and purchased bags of Skittles. Please mail your empty Skittles bags to Police Chief Bill Lee at Sanford Police Station 815 West 13th St Sanford, Fl 32771. For Trayvon Martin, murdered in cold blood and left to die while his killer has gone free despite the overwhelming amount of evidence of his guilt.

I've never eaten a bag of Skittles. It's possibly the foulest candy I've ever tasted; my children love them. We discussed letter writing. But in the end I told them everyone must choose their own actions of civil protest. I told them they would never forget eating these bags of Skittles, that they didn't have to write a letter to send with the empty bag to the Chief of Police in Sanford. I've called the police station in Sanford myself and explained my outrage. I think we've covered the truth, the lesson, and the symbolism.

Candy is ephemeral. Young men are not.

Today our kitten was spayed. And I received my very first cease and desist registered letter from a lawyer. You know what? If you've never received such a letter, perhaps you haven't pushed for the truth hard enough. I am accused of slander and defamation of character. But it ain't slander if its true and, Honey, I'm not ashamed nor afraid.

But I am tired. This has been kind of a big day.

2 comments:

  1. maddie will be joining y'all in the skittles protest. she loves a good protest...and also skittles. j assures me that there is all kinda heat coming down on the police in sanford...FBI to ACLU. but a few more skittles packages won't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So you're supposed to cease and desist from what exactly?

    I'm with you on the Skittles--bring me chocolate.

    Sending hugs, love, Val

    ReplyDelete