Friday, December 16, 2011

We've got some building to do around here.  We need a goat hut to keep the rain off the goats we are planning to buy.  And we need a boat.  Rather, we want a boat and we need the skills to build one.  It occurred to me years ago that if my kids left home with all the information in their heads and hands for building a home, I would consider our homeschool a success.

Somewhere along the way I quit needing to imagine an endpoint on which to pin our results badge --our grades.  Yesterday my kids were out with their Godmother.  My son looks like he could be her son, actually.  And someone asked them how they are related.  She hesitated, they are related by love, as thick as anything.  My son replied, "We are as awesome as she is."   

My quiet demurring 13 year old son pipped that right out loud, and to a stranger.  He must have been full of the joy of her company.  I know he meant only to compliment her and the bond we all share.  But I think he hit a perfect note of confidence in himself, assertion, and willingness to engage.  Forget an exit grade.  I'll call that success and we'll keep learning together.


But I still want a farm, a boat, for the kids to build their own tiny houses, and for all of us to collect the tools and skills we need to accomplish these goals.  If my goals seem meager, they are intimidating to me.  I feel challenged.  I'm noticing a hesitancy to begin.  Which is, perhaps, the best reason to have left my cow behind on someone else's farm.  Its time to push through fear and get busy with some next level investment in time, resources, energy, tools, and reward.   And the kids are on board, starboard if we refer to the ancient meaning --the steering side of the ship, in control of their own rudders.  My goals are aligning with theirs, awesomeness. 

We have a farm, life skills, habitation, satisfaction, and self reliance to gain.   Compared to a gpa and class ranking, I think we're on the right path for good graduation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment