Thursday, December 15, 2011


The kids took these pictures.  I think they are brilliant and I thank God for my life with these artists.

Yesterday they introduced me to a new game, a game our son invented.  Its called "Delayed Communication."   This is how you play.

Player 1)  Speaking directly to Player 2, "Hi, how's it going?"
Player 2)  Long silent dramatic pause with no eye contact........."Uh, hi.  Yeah."
Player 1)  Speaking directly to Player 2, "I just read a great book."
Player 2)  Long silent dramatic pause with no eye contact........."Huh?  Really.  Okay."

Repeat until Player 1 feels like punching Player 2 in the face.  Or calling a therapist.  Or, possibly, initiating an eating disorder.  Quit the game and go play something much more fun, hopefully involving costumes.

Wow.  Sometimes life throws up a perfect mirror.  If you are supremely lucky, you'll catch an honest glimpse of yourself.  Perhaps, after your retinas heal from being scalded by the light.   I participated in this game for two or three rounds.  Then I stared at the kids a few seconds.  They were completely innocent, without any dapple of guile what so ever.  I almost wept with gratitude.  And I told them I knew where they got this game.  "Delayed Communication" sounds a whole lot like one person trying to talk to another person who is busy on a computer.   They responded with vague smiles, gentle nods of realization, and shrugging, they ran off to play another game.  I sat scrawling stern mental notes to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment