Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mornings and evenings are usually the time when Boy and I connect.  And we connect most often silently, next to each other, quietly reading or typing.  Mostly reading.  We call it "reading nexttos".  That kid and I are so different in many ways.

He's into complicated intricate gaming, mostly, a thing I can't play well enough to share with him.  We tried.  We played "Magic The Gathering" last week.  Every turn I had to ask what the card meant, what was the power, what the damage?   Until finally I asked if I was annoying him.  "This is a bit tedious" he  admitted.  Ah, honesty is always refreshing.

If I'm not reading I'm crafting.  He was done with craftiness years ago.  I clean or sew and read.  He plays guitar and reads.  That leaves us reading together.  But the silence and the companionship are lovely.  He is such a kind hearted, wickedly funny, calm, easy-going kid.  I love read nexttos with Dear Boy.
Zombie Fluxx with Dear Girl and Dear Nephew.  The kids spent a lot of time with Dear Nephew this summer.  Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, tedious.

    My kids caught on to pokemon with ease.

    I am still baffled.

    love you, and your son too, for trying, Val

    ReplyDelete