Saturday, September 10, 2011

It was decided today, we no longer meet at the stage in the children's section of Barnes & Noble.   We're too old for that--way.  We made other arrangements.  But even before we came to that agreement, as I shopped I noticed I wasn't fretting where they were.  I was just shopping.  As they were just shopping.   Normal folks doing this normal thing.  Ah, me peerie mootie lammies!

A Shetland Cradle Song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij60XUvWjZY&feature=youtu.be
Da boatie sails an da boatie rowes,
Dey set der sails an dey hail der towes,
Hush-a-baa-baa, my peerie lamb,
Dy faider is comin awa fae fram.

Da sheep dey baa, an da craws dey craw,
Dey flap der wings an dey flee awa,
Hush-a-baa-baa, me peerie flee,
Auld Daa'll be comin wi shalls tae dee.

Da burnie rins an da burnie rowes
Da lambs dey dance ower da haider-towes,
Hush-a-ba-ba, me peerie dear,
Dey'll naebody hurt dee whin Mam is near.

Da laverick lifts an he sings tae aa,
Da winter comes wi da cauld an snaw,
Hush-a-baa-baa, my peerie flooer,
Lang Wullie is löin ahint da door.

Da mares dey böl an da kye come heem,
We lay wis doon i' da Gödie's neem,
Hush-a-ba-ba, ma peerie ting,
He covers wis aw wi His holy wing.

ENGLISH:

The boat sails and the boat rows
They set their sails and haul their towes (nets or lines)
Hush a ba ba, my little lamb
Your father is coming away from far out at sea.

The sheep they baa and the crows they crow
They flap their wings and fly away
Hush a ba ba my little fly
Old Dad'll be coming with shells for you.

The burn runs and the burn rolls
the lambs they dance over the heather knolls
Hush a ba ba my treasure dear
Nobody will hurt you when Mum is near.

The skylark flies up and he sings to all
The winter comes with the cold and snow
Hush a ba ba my little flower
Long Willie (Winkie) is listening behind the door.

The mares settle to sleep and the cattle come home
We lie down in God's name
Hush a ba ba my little thing
He covers us all with His holy wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment