Saturday, February 15, 2014

We just had a big snow storm. Ice was forecast, and I prepared for ice, but we didn't see much of that and never lost power. Finally, the snow I promised my little children when we moved back here from Texas, arrived! And the kids, 7 years older now, were....kinda "meh." They played in some snow. They did a little sledding. Mostly, they ate and slept and spent their days doing what they normally do---reading, talking to friends online, playing games, helping around the house. R made cookies and special chocolates for Valentines Day. H helped his Dad built the goats a new stanchion. The stanchion, just in time because I need a way to restrain the mama goats for their vaccinations and hoof trims, which we need to do before their kids begin arriving. In the next few weeks, I think.
Note to self: need gloves and boots for kids and Dad. How can a mini-farm be lacking boots?! Also, its okay to go ahead and dump the extra 200 gallons of water stashed all over the house in case of power loss. Temps forecast in the 60s for later this week.

I had to climb a high fence with a power drill and some baling twine to secure plywood over the top rails at work last week. Sitting up there, making extra shelter for the calves in case of ice, it occurred to me: I love my job. Earlier that same day, I got one foot stuck between five panicked pigs. That's not a good situation, but even in that moment, it occurred to me how much I love my job. Its dirty dangerous gorgeous fun hard work. Calving season has started. Spring is on the way.

1 comment:

  1. You LOVE your job....that makes me smile Soooo big!!! I have goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete