Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I stood in the dark outside the creamery with the phone and said to my boss, "Glory had her baby, they're safe, I'll start milking the mamas." Later my boss showed up in the dairy parlor and said, "You said Glory had her baby. But you didn't tell me that little heifer calf is SO CUTE!" I doubt this job ever gets too old. Everyday is something new. Today, Glory's little spotted calf. We moved her to the hutches with the other calves in a garden cart.

This afternoon my daughter made dinner, my son figured out how to replace our front door knob, and I swept out our house--with all the windows and doors open. Its sixty two degrees and there is a significant amount of snow on the ground. I've never seen that before.

I spent the afternoon wondering what kinds of things are most important to learn. So many kids graduate from high school without the slightest clue how to do real things: use a knife, cook a meal, fix broken things, harvest food, manage money, speak their mind, know their hearts...

1 comment: