Wednesday, January 22, 2014

We had a light dusting of snow last night and Dear Girl asked me to go sit in the barn with her. In the light from the house, we watched the men move through the dark front yard and the dogs dash around and the cats enjoying themselves. The goats were nibbling hay and watching with us. It was lovely. I only wish we would get a real and deep snow. Which is a thing I promised the kids would happen when we moved back here from Texas in 2007. Still waiting to make good on that.

Dear Boy went out driving with his instructor yesterday, for the first time. Its possible they could finish today. If not, then soon. And how strange is that? Wonderfully so. The instructor called at lunch yesterday and they were off with in the hour. No time to worry over performance. Up and out, he looked relieved and pleased when he got back home. I know he is a good driver, the very soul of good sense and reason. And dare I say it? I think he's taller than his Dad now.

We've been attending the local homeschooling park day, almost every week, for seven years. Its just occurred to me this week, we may outgrow it soon. I go and sit with the mommies with young children. The teenagers disappear. Well, I'm just not necessary to that process. So I've organized a teen gathering for lunch in a nearby little townlet. I don't know what else to call this place. Its a neighborhood with a wonderful small urban retail area. Much more thoughtful and larger than a mall, but equally surreal, almost like the town in Truman. Be that as it may, the kids will get to hangout together once a week. There are shops, foods, a large green space, a movie theater, and a park within walking distance. Its a perfect place for them to hangout. And I see this as a setup for their inevitable and rapidly approaching transition to a 100% self organized social life.

At work last week an old man stopped me to ask if I was Ms. F. "Oh heavens, no. You've mistaken me for someone in charge. I'm in charge of nothing here. Go speak to that woman over there." Saying these words delighted me. One of the things I LOVE about this new job is that I am not in charge. I go, do my job, and leave. What joyous simplicity. What a delight to be temporarily unburdened with the weight of things that matter much much more. My biggest concern at work is getting 16 pregnant heifers used to the milking parlor and willing to walk through easily before they start calving in Feb.

No comments:

Post a Comment