Monday, January 13, 2014

Dear Girl likes to sit in the barn and play guitar for the goats. She says, "They come in and while they listen, they eat a bunch of hay. Then they sit and chew their cud. When I stop, they turn to look at me." Now that I'm working in the mornings Dear Boy and Girl are going to have to milk the goats. (Assuming the goats are pregnant and will kid soon--?)

I never would have made the children help with milking because farming is my thing. I'm not into forcing my interests on them. But I'm glad they both know how. And I'm not a bit sad for the need. There really isn't very much meaningful work in and around the average home in this country. Both kids already split the dishes, fold the laundry, and vacuum. Paltry pickings for daily work, in terms of soul food. And daily work is soul food. What do they say? How you spend your day is how you spend your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment