Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hum, let's see, things..... I have become a project monster. I've been doing. All kinds of things. I've started writing my own knitting patterns, with a eye toward eventually selling them, which obviously involves a ton of knitting. I've caned a chair, quilted some drawer liners for my daughter's new dresser, and generated lots of future knitting pattern ideas. My carved veggies sit painted, varnished, and waiting for me to weave a honeysuckle basket and felt a bean vine to wrap around the handle. These are sideline projects running next to managing our life.

My husband and I had a good laugh this morning as I described what happened before he woke up. I went downstairs and let the dogs out then in, and let the cats out then in, but separately of course. I fed them all, organized some stuff, made my coffee, and after about 30 minutes of futzing around finally settled into the good chair with hot coffee on my left, my new favorite book in the middle, and my computer on my right. At exactly that second, Daisy, our shepherd, presented herself with her enthusiastic need for petting. But I was done with other creature's needs and quietly snapped: "go lie down." Which she promptly did, because she's the Best Dog Ever. A feeling of failure wrapped itself around me and my perfect moment. The opportunity for failure in life is endless.

We have to laugh. We can not do everything perfectly right. We can not love perfectly. Its not possible. You might think you are entitled to one perfect cup of morning coffee. But honestly, you aren't. And that's okay.

The kids ate a watermelon last night. My husband said so. I just blinked at him. So? "A whole watermelon. Dear girl walked into the living room with half a watermelon under her arm and a spoon." When I was a kid we expected to finish a watermelon when it was cut. Not like a rule, but if you open a watermelon you're gonna eat it all, of course. Apparently other people in other parts of the country eat slices of watermelon. I can't even take those little triangles seriously. Getting one triangle of watermelon is like being offered one bite of a fried chicken liver. It is delicious, but it just pisses you off.

Both kids are a lot busier with music these days, playing guitar, studying production, and our singing group starts next week. Apparently holding open space for them to follow their interests results in them following their interests. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment