Wednesday, May 8, 2013

One of the most empowered, courageous, and loving mothering stories I've read in a long time. Enjoy:
"Why I Let My Adopted Preschoolers Nurse"  by Zoe Saint-Paul

I posted this article on facebook and my cousin Stephen "liked" it. A whole bunch of women liked it too, of course. And this one lone man. Who also happens to be Head of Public Health for a huge metropolitan hospital. I thanked him for his support, which was even braver because when I linked this article did so with some pro-abortion commentary. He wrote back saying he can't figure out why anyone still makes a big deal about nursing, or giving babies what they need on any level. He knew I breast fed my children, but couldn't remember how long. And his mention of that detail made me cry.

I mean, put my hands in my face and cry. Because I felt enormous pressure to wean my babies early. So one got weaned at a year and half. The next at two years. And I was considered sort of radical, nursing so long. But I lacked the mother wit of Zoe Saint-Paul. Would that I could go back, I would have nursed each of them, and in tandem if necessary, until they self weaned. Which is to say, generally and usually, somewhere between 4 and 6.

Pressure? I felt pressure? Moi? You bet. And my husband and my own mother could not have been more supportive. And I live in a liberal community. Which should say plenty about the pressure upon nursing mothers in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment