Monday, May 27, 2013

Feeding goats organic grains last year, plenty was spilled in the yard and kicked around by chickens and washed around by rain. We decided to let the resulting grass grow to seed. Here are the results. I think. I'm really not certain what any of it is. I've labeled as best I can according to this USDA chart. But I've never seen a sheaf of cereal grain in my life. I tried to figure out the names of the native grasses. I failed but did learn about green sprangletop, which grows exclusively in Texas and Florida. I just like the name. Green Sprangletop. Please note that all these grasses grew to roughly the same height. I plonked them down thoughtlessly wonky for the picture. Also note: dogs, cats, and chickens apparently adore a good high stand of grass. Which quickly results in a no longer high stand of grass.
native grass,    barley and wheat,    oats,    native grass

No comments:

Post a Comment