Saturday, February 2, 2013

Dear Tulip has me guessing. She is definitely either well or unwell, bred or unbred, and drying herself off or just maybe....underfed or suffering the lack of something? Or everything is perfectly fine. And honestly, I have no clue which of these options will prove true. Right now I'm proceeding as if she is bred (to most excellent Mr. T!) I am drying her off---I think her body was asking for this. Her milk got funky tasting and then salty. But with no other signs of illness or mastitis. I've dramatically cut back her grain ration, which is standard drying off procedure. But its awfully cold these days. And she could use the calories, especially if she is settled. Her attitude is good, her appetite is great, her manure is fine, she has no other symptoms. Except cold ears. And that bothers me. Her ears shouldn't really be cold, not even in cold weather. (Vanilla's ears aren't cold.) Dear dear Tully, what shall we do for you?

6 comments:

  1. She's either well or unwell?

    Has she turned up?

    Unh. The responsibility of animals is no small thing. love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. She is quite firmly either well or unwell. You understand my dilemma exactly. *~*
    Time will tell. I am watching her closely. And for now, the weather is mild enough. Every morning, as with today, I find her happily chewing cud in the sunshine. That is good. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she had a mild bug which is passing. Possibly brought on by lack of decent browse. I've been treating her with cedar trees. What ever it was, her ears are warm today, she is extra energetic, and the milk from one udder is sweet again and the other udder is less salty. So. Onward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think she's thin, keep giving her grain, just stop milking her, or do the every other day, then every 2 days, and so on until she dries off. She may not be an easy keeper, and can't grow babies and make milk and keep her condition. Make sure she's getting adequate copper and selenium, a good loose mineral, and maybe alfalfa pellets? Get a fecal done, and then if she shows for parasites, use Safeguard wormer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you take her for walks in the surrounding area to browse on privette? Then everyone wins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks y'all. I'm off to see her now. I'm assuming she is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete