Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thank you from my soul, I-Hop, for your consistent and honest use of real butter.

Favorite moment from least favorite day: we came off the hell-road completely fried from driving on the worst highway past the worst things through hard rain and high winds that not only felt unsafe, but actually jackknifed two semi trucks along the way. I stumbled into the bathroom at Cracker Barrel and took a seat as much to decompress as to actually use the facilities. Cracker Barrel pipes music into their bathrooms, always retro Country&Western and always curiously tasteful. There was a silent pause. I pressed the heals of my hands into my eyes as I heard the first strains of "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny and Dolly, a strangely modern choice, but welcome. And as I began to silently mouth the first words all the women in the stalls around me began to sing.

2 comments:

  1. oh Dolly, you are one in a million.

    come on home intrepid travelers.

    this is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was a kid when this song came out, and we always listened to country. I thought the song was naughty. When they sing "And we rely on each other," I thought they said, "And we will lie on each other."

    ReplyDelete