Monday, December 10, 2012

 Hark, the herald angels of this new generation may have unusual and fresh ideas about beauty and art. 

 Dear Girl had the opportunity to run a henna booth at a kid market this weekend. She did a great job. 
Dear Boy didn't hang around too long. For reasons unfathomable, he didn't bring a book to the kid market. I suggested he walk up to the library. So he did! My son walked off into the city all alone. It was SO COOL, yet wistful, to see him go. I stood with him on the street and said: go right then left then right then stay straight, pass our friend Karen's house, keep going, stay straight a while longer, and down yonder you'll find the library. So he did! A couple hours later he showed back up at the market. I had forgotten he was with us downtown. How's that for not worried?! I understand its mundane beyond all telling to blog about my son taking a walk alone through the city. Except, wow, that was his first time out all alone. And just so appropriate. Because he's just so grown now. 

He's been studying math in earnest. By himself. Its kind of humorous how startled I can still be by the fact that unschooling works. Who studies math if they don't have to? People making their own goals and defining their own interests, that's who. 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous make-up! Well, she's so beautiful, she'd make anything gorgeous I guess, but, I really like the look. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone told me math is a language that explains many things. I think it's like learning music, which is a language too. You really are robbing yourself if you don't develop at least a basic understanding, in part because that bit allows you to appreciate all that you don't know.

    That Henry has realized this all on his own is even better. love, Val

    ReplyDelete