Friday, August 24, 2012

The kids watched Romeo and Juliet today. While I napped. Shakespeare just isn't my thing. I ambled through shortly before intermission and asked them how it was going. My son shrugged. My daughter said, "He just doesn't understand the language of love. I get it. Its good."

We watched the second half together. Shakespeare did know how to push a story along. It is a great tragedy. And we can check that one off the almighty homeschooling list of requirements in the sky. Last year, A Midsummer Night's Dream. This year, Romeo and Juliet. Slowly, we'll get ourselves exposed to art.

4 comments:

  1. I probably told you this, but years ago we did Shakespeare one winter. I went to the library and checked out the tape recordings and also the books with the text.

    The I bought the Cliff's Notes. First we read those, then they listened and followed along.

    One was a comedy, and I could hear them laughing.

    Another was Macbeth, and they were a bit disturbed by it. (These were kids who had seen R rated adventure movies.) They got it.

    If you can penetrate the language barrier, a good story is always a good story. love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. which one? I was permanently affected by the zeffrelli version when i was 14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They watched the Zeffirelli version.

    You know, I say I'm not so into Shakespeare. But I've never seen Macbeth or Hamlet. Maybe its not too late for me to change?

    ReplyDelete
  4. for Henry.....Henry V. There's not much better Shakespeare IMO than the St Crispans Day Speech. Kenneth Branagh.

    ReplyDelete