Thursday, August 2, 2012

I know, lets' have a Mommy War! You get on one side and I'll get on another and we can shoot each other with Mommy Arrows which are sharp but gooey with love and prone to swerve. It will be great fun! We will look very serious and intent, but in the end fall laughing into a pile of frivolity as we move on to the days next fun filled event: Toilet Scrubbing Races! All the while making sure no one's feelings ever get hurt. 2, 3, 4, We Want A Mommy War, that's how you start the game.

I am sick to death of the label Mommy War. How patronizing and marginalizing can you get? Silly Mommies, thinking their job is important, worth discussing, and valuable enough to matter. Saying there is no right way to do the job of parenting is equal to saying it doesn't matter. Saying there is no single right way gets closer to reality but remains dangerously close to suggesting the job isn't all that important.

It might be that some parents are better than others. It might be that things like how you feed a child, speak to a child, what example you provide about how to move through the world including thoughts on sleeping, working, having fun, choosing friends, handling emotions, and thinking all matter. If mothers (let's not kid ourselves, the humans discussing parenting are still 98% female) were allowed to hold public discussions about their jobs, someone might learn something. If potent meaningful words pointed enough even to hurt were used, my heavens! What might happen? Men might even get involved in such a discussion. Because it might be serious, have weight, be loaded with actual meaning about an actually valuable subject. You know, just like what happens in all those corporate offices all over the world. Where people feel the need to hold meetings to discuss options and ideas as if their very jobs depend on community verbal parlay. As if their jobs, ergo, what happens in their jobs, are important and matter.

Everyone knows what a Mommy War is. Its two women representing two groups of women, each audacious enough to have an opinion, believe it matters, and be interested in talking about it. Hum opinion having, mattering, interesting Mommies? Does such a thing exist? Can you even use the word Mommy while thinking about important choices, Sweetie, Dearie, Sugarie Pieums? Mommies take care of babies. I think our society has shown, very clearly, just how important we think they are. And since they all cry all the time anyway, who can tell who is a good Mommy and who isn't? Children barely even have mothers. What children have is school, well, for their waking hours anyway.

Important things usually hurt when they go wrong. Think of anything important. Get any of those things wrong and you can find yourself broke, broken, alone, or dead. What happens when you get parenting wrong? Get it criminally wrong and it quickly becomes obvious, ending with brokenness, separation, or death. But get it subtly wrong and what happens? Separation, brokenness, and death come much much later, after the kids are grown enough to escape. There is one clue. Getting it wrong means raising a family from which one might want to escape. How convenient that the definition of success in our culture implies independence. And how curiously circular, that our culture pushes the separation of families at every turn.

If a Mommy were ever to say an important thing, a thing so important it might actually hurt someones feelings or cause someone to consider changing, what would happen? It can not happen. If such a thing happened we would be forced to admit parenting is important and profoundly influences lives.

I'm going to tell you something, bitches. Happy babies don't cry very much. Not usually. If your baby is crying there is a good chance you are getting something wrong. Figure it out. Babies also need breast milk, science says so. Diapers aren't even necessary. But you have to be willing to personally hold and know your own baby, in order to live without diapers. You probably should hold your own baby nearly all the time, as if you are in love with them. And institutional school is stupid, it won't do a very good job raising your children. Does that hurt your feelings? Oh, sorry. I wouldn't want to say anything important. I'm just playing Mommy War. Which is all about Mommies feelings, in the end. God forbid anyone suggest a child ever had a feeling that mattered. Much less needed a parent who put any thought into how they choose to do their jobs--as if their jobs even matter.

10 comments:

  1. It is hard. I have been criticized plenty by a lot of people, and though some of them were right, others were not.

    People still say stuff to me now.

    And you know there are plenty of wrong-headed, damage-doing dads in the world, yet men don't talk about being dads that much. It is the women.

    Convincing anyone to consider another point of view isn't easy AT ALL. Whether you sugar coat it or are blunt or even snappy--people hear what they want to hear, get defensive, decide we're full of b.s. I've gotten in actual arguments with people over things like spanking children and circumcision. I don't think they were convinced at all. I know their opinions did not change mine.

    Life is complicated. But at least you talk about it. love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. You had me at, "I'm going to tell you something, bitches."

    Preach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about this one...you mean you are brave enough to tie your fate to some other person, release control of your financial security into their hands, and take a huge leap of faith in them? god. I wish I had that kind of faith in myself, and therefore to offer my partner. I wish I had that kind of courage. I need more control than that. I bet your partner can feel your faith; I bet they appreciate your trust. I bet it helps them feel proud of themselves. Did my fear call you a name? Pishaw. What as Loving act, to be an economic dependent.

    IMO mommy wars are a myth that Newsweek created reflecting the fear rising two decades ago, an article supporting the growing backlash, in an attempt to undermine women's strides in loving and supporting each other, because women are rapidly taking the reins in the corporate world as we come to understand and speak the international language required for a global economy, teamwork and world peace, and that is a scary transition..yes, we are seeing the resistance in wars waging and economies tumbling, but I have my eye on the prize, as you said a few weeks ago...all you need is Love.

    Love is hard work, not a cop out, not blithe, not avoidance of conflict, but something much deeper, truer and lasting. Love is the only thing that ever helped me change my mind and see a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CC, I don't understand that first paragraph? I'm not sure what you mean?
    I wasn't aware of the Newsweek article. Interesting. Who ever coined the phrase, it sure has a solid way of shutting down discussion now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, well, it's so bleeding obvious that you probably can't believe I just realized it. I did not want a man to tell me what to do or how to spend my money. IF my Mom WAS giving away her power, she was also doing something else: she was giving him a tremendous gift, taking a huge courageous leap of faith. What I mean is, in classic mommy wars, the wage earning mom has some comment for the stay at home mom that seems to indicate she has lesser worth and is hiding in dependence, and likewise, the SAHM has some comment about how wage-earner has abandoned her kids. But THIS wage earner just realized that she is denying her spouse what other husbands/partners get from their SAHM partners...faith, trust, confidence. Fear sends me to work. Need for control keeps me from taking such a leap of faith....and yes, maybe common sense too. So, me aside, when the Working Mom makes the comment, the SAHM can have compassion and understand that it may just be fear talking. Fear often does the talking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that's not really obvious to me. To me, I see the money issues as 100% collaborative. We couldn't both go out to work and have our kids raised at home. Because we could never afford that. So we figured out a collaborative solution. Its never felt like an issue of power to me. I don't feel like I gave Dear Husband a gift of trust, per se. I guess its felt, all along, like "gee, you do that part over there and I'll do this part over here and we'll get it all done." In that way, we are both trusting each other enormously--but just to keep showing up and to keep loving each other. Its always been an all for one and one for all kinda gig in terms of money and power at our house. Money simply does't affect the balance of power in our relationship. If we were poor, we'd be the same. If we get rich, we'll be the same. If I had a full time wage earning job, I wouldn't have any more or less power in the context of my marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. once again, a totally different perspective. I am smirking. It seems I've heard of this. People who speak o this way seem happy with it. Some call it partnership, or, I think that's what they're talking about.

    Something about no one keeping score. Sounds nice. No really, it does...I DON'T GET IT!!!!! eh hem, excuse me, temporary override of intellectual control there - since intellect is the only way I even begin to get it. Emotionally, it's a foreign language. Yet, there's hope. If I hear enough of it, maybe I can learn to speak a few words in heart tongue.

    We do show up for each other in emotional ways, my man and I, with thoughtfulness and faithfulness being big ones we give. We are each other's favorite people to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe we should continue this in person...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You being one of my favorite people to talk to in person <3

    I do get how there was a power imbalance with SAHMs and their husbands in the 50s. Even in the 60s. Do you know when my mother went to the Dr. for birth control in the 60s, they called my Dad to ask his permission first!? I understand the cultural context of what you're saying

    But in my modern life with my modern husband, we don't power trip each other. We have other faults. But we are very collaborative with money and power---if by power you mean who decides what we do, how we pay for it, what happens next, etc. There is nothing I can't spend or decide and vice versa.

    In the context of the original post, its the children who matter most. Right? How do the children get raised? I think its such a sadly unnoticed factor in the equation of what adults personally want, so often. Sure, parents matter, but not half so much as the children they've chosen to have.

    Now, my power in society as a SAHM, that's a different topic. Yikes! You have way more power than me, as a current relevant employable human, CC. You wouldn't believe what the bank did to me a few years ago. All our accounts were co-accounts. I used the online interface (and I handle all our finances) so I chose all the passwords and set up all the bill-pay accounts. Then they gave us each debit cards and randomly decided that online access point belonged to my husband! So if it shuts down (like, if I miss type a password), I don't have the authority to reopen it. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? That's some sexist bullshit, right there. Happened years ago, still pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete