Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My 13 year old is bored. Shall I rescue him? Is it my job to keep him enthused? He has three major passions: reading, Magic The Gathering, and video games. (In that order.) And one minor passion: music. (As far as I know.) He wants to study Aikido again and I am willing to support that. But he must wait a year, until the Herpst appliance is taken out of his mouth. Its not okay to participate in a head flinging sport while wearing a steel lever on your jaw. Especially if the fulcrum is your tempromandibular joint. What instead? What now?

Is this a test of his drive and my dogma? Children, humans, should rise to their own occasion. Yes? Perhaps he is craving less thought and more action. Perhaps increased duty around the house is in order, might restore order, might illuminate an ordered path. (Order is boring.)

I can't help thinking, what ails him is not so different from what ails me. I'm bored too. I have slacked on plenty of household duty, we could do with more action and less dwelling. Dwelling...

A strange dissonance forms in this Luddite who wistfully recalls the distant days past when folks used standard large screens commonly. With a shock of relief, I set aside my laptop to open the dictionary underneath (holding the computer off my actual lap) to look up dwell the old old-fashioned way.

dwell (Websters Unabridged hardback version): 6. a period in a cycle in the operation of a machine during which a given tool or part remains motionless. to lead astray, stun. abide

We should rip out the kitchen faucet and figure out how to fix it. When we can't be enthusiastic, we can at least be helpful. And the constant dripping annoys as our water and electricity are siphoned for non.

1 comment:

  1. "When we can't be enthusiastic, we can at least be helpful."

    Oh, I like that. A lot!

    I think learning to deal with bordem is a top tier life skill. I'm serious. One of my main goals of my life as a parent is for my kids to become adults that can deal with boredom, drudgery, and life's non-perfect parts without resorting to drugs, self harm, or drama. It's a big deal. So many problems today can be accounted for people who cannot effectively deal with boredom and her sister emotions.

    ReplyDelete