Thursday, May 10, 2012

Yesterday my son finished another course of game programming and told me he wants to learn some foundation computer languages, specifically C++ and Python. Which is great. Right away I began to research and collect resources for him. If Dear Boy is going to teach himself programming he's going to have to learn some math in the process.

And my daughter asked, again, for more assignments from me. Again, she voiced her frustration and desire for more without any clear understanding of what more might be. She said, "I want assignments from you so that I'll have to try hard and do my best and work for a grade." I think that's a direct quote, close enough, in any case. My point back to her was that she's to study what she's interested in, that her education is her responsibility, that I'm here to help, but not drag, her along. I said her motivation should be internal. I reiterated traditional high school is always an option.

Which is true but beside the point of her feelings. Later, I realized what's lacking: feedback. She's never gotten any kind of grade or feedback. So I directed her to a "report card" of sorts. I think reading it helped her feel more relaxed.  We also discussed Math curricula and decided on Life Of Fred, which I will order. Along with Life of Fred and some books about programming languages, I bought a couple of adult math texts. Its good to expand and elevate any curricula, to get at information from various angles.

So life is good, the children are progressing, and we help each other along. As I sat on the couch updating my husband about their new interests and progress, our daughter was upstairs on her computer. She was writing an essay. No one gave her any writing assignment. But she needed to express her thoughts and feelings. Which she did eloquently and freely. She tried hard, did her best, and wrote a cohesive effective and stirring essay about the passage of Amendment One. She wrote more in one sitting last night, of her own choosing, than I likely wrote my entire 12 year old year--possibly more than I wrote in all of middle school.

She began: "Amendment One passed today. Wow. Love lost to fear. Who would have thought people could be so small..."

My Darling, people are ever so disappointingly small. But not you, not your motivation, not your skills, not your talent, and never your heart. I couldn't possibly offer you any kind of grade equal to the truth of who you are, what you choose, and how you learn. Grades are infinitesimal labels and assignments are a mockery compared to you and your brother's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment