Monday, May 28, 2012

My car died so until we get a replacement (possibly tonight) I'm not out and about. Its easy for me to discount the work I do at home. But being somewhat stranded (I'm not truly stranded--many folks around to help if I need a ride) makes my work more clear. I can't get to the store, but I harvest more than a gallon of milk and fresh eggs here a day. Today I pulled a bunch of beets, enough chard to share, and a cup of blueberries out of the yard. There are fresh flowers to cut. And yesterday I made fried flower fritters out of the day lilies in bloom. So the work I've been doing here matters. We have plenty. And its looking beautiful outside right now.

Which is good to say out loud. Because taking on a car loan sucks, mentally. Physically, I have nothing but 100% gratitude that we can take a loan. But I hate to spend the money. I feel constantly guilty about not earning wages. And often my job here at home feels invisible or superfluous...or something less than. Less than a career, I suppose.

Mark Twain said, "Despite the cost of living, its still a popular option."

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... Good old Mark Twain. Like usual, he nails it.

    ReplyDelete