Monday, April 2, 2012

Sitting in the library today with Dear Boy I read the word ogee in a biography about E. B. White.  Neither of us had heard it before so I looked it up and then looked up apogee for good measure. Ogee: an S curve, connected convex and concave curves. Apogee: the highest or most further point away on a curve.

Lovely words, I was sitting there feeling so pleased with the sound of them when an old lady suddenly sat in front of us. I asked if she had heard of ogee and she had. Which launched her off on a long discussion of ogee in antique furniture and architectural detail. In the middle of which, she noticed my painted feet. A grimace crossed her face and as I slipped my feet from my shoes to show them to her I said, "Do you like them? Its called henna."  She replied, "Heavens, No." I was charmed completely and smiled.

She continued on about a local antique dealer who recently moved here from NYC. "Folks don't know, we live in a special place quite close to so many wonderful unique things here."  I've been here my whole life and I agree. But maybe she's been here longer. Since we were obviously at the point of intimacy in such an honest relationship, I asked, "What's your favorite secret?" She laughed, claimed my question was unfair, and hesitated. At exactly that moment her husband arrived to say it was time to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment