Friday, February 3, 2012

Joann Grohman's response:  Monsanto has always relied on conventional plant breeding paid for by others. Then they insert their tweaks and patent it.

Promoters of high tech ag solutions have all got in common that they don't now and never have personally worked the land. You can't just flog the ground and tell it to produce more. Innumerable examples demonstrate that personal care of the land by owners can double or quadruple production. It requires the attentive care of the land and crops by the farmer.

To make big ag high tech solutions "feed the world" requires social engineering. "They" tell you what to plant and how to do it. The crop ends up belonging to a few powerful people and they decide which millions are to be fed.

It is depressing that Gates can't see where the Monsanto model leads. Or perhaps he does, and plans on being the decision maker on who gets fed. He can scarcely be unaware that right now there is enough food to "feed the millions" and they are not getting it.

My response:   Thank you Joann. That's exactly why I'm so upset. Bill Gates can hardly be unaware of the corruption. I think you're spot on that he simply intends to be one of the decision makers getting fed--the fattest pig. (Not to malign pigs.)

"We have more people than there needs to be, and more than can live sustainably." I agree there are more folks than the earth needs. However we can all live sustainably. Monsanto and industrial ag keep swearing we can't, selling that lie as hard as they can. Don't buy it.

We can live sustainably. Perhaps not on McMonsantoBurgers. But we can all live well, better even, sustainably.

A couple of months ago I took a three hour drive through NC up to the Va mountains. I was picking up goats, traveling smaller highways. For three solid hours everywhere I looked, as far as my eye could see, I saw empty farm land. I don't mean fallow land. Or land out of season. I mean land no one farms anymore. The world has plenty of land and resources. I'd wager most of the US is unused arable land.

Monsanto and Bill Gates simply prefer we buy our food from them. And they aren't above trying to tell us we HAVE to buy our food from them. Which, at some point, quits being capitalist and starts being fascist. And that's why I'm so scared and angry.

We won't hear Jimmy Carter, an actual farmer, talking about the need for GMOs. Obviously.
I am teaching my children to save seed. In this case, Kentucky Wonder Beans. After this harvest my daughter said, "Take THAT Monsanto!" All right in the middle of our suburban front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment