Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sometimes as I'm surfing the web I whisper the truth to myself:  there is nothing here for me.  Which is a good thing to hear.  It makes me happy and presses an internal Get Off At The Next Stop buzzer.

Blogging also makes me happy.  I love having the catalog of memories and pictures, love love love love it.  With no apologies.   This is one of my favorite pictures from the old blog.   Its been on my mind.
I love the light in the image and the darkness of the center focal point.  I love that the image is a balance of inside and outside, blurred and sharp details. I love seeing my child eating eggs from my chickens with milk from my cow. I love that the meal matches the foliage outside, and why not?  It came directly from the same yard.  (Stepping out the kitchen door to harvest groceries never gets old.)  I love the steam rising off the eggs blurred with light coming in the window and through the milk, heat juxtaposed with a suggestion of frost on the milk glass and the frosty season outside.  I love how cozy and nourished the scene looks.  I love that my kids can have a hot breakfast everyday, that they've never been hurried from warm sleep for cold cereal and a jog to the bus stop.  I love that I am here with them for these mundane and totally random moments which can also be translated as art.  This image is a portrait of what my life and my work look like these years.  It reminds me how lucky I am to be here, how deeply grateful I am that I get to do this work of mothering, tending, and noticing.  It reminds me that the moments are fleeting but often timeless as well.  How can one millisecond of a random shot contain so much for me, un-posed, unscripted, unedited, just like their childhoods?  I love that the image is nearly black and white, with brightly splashed color - edible color, it almost seems painted to me but there is nothing contrived here.   We eat.  We think about art.  We enjoy being home.  We have lots of solitude.  We move in a seasonal rhythm based on the earth turning, rather than an academic calendar.  And I can see it all in this one image.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do that too. Though admittedly, other times I run wild through the net, gulping pages in, feeling like I'm dancing with glee over the gluttony of all there is. A hard dichotomy to balance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Candy, I know that excellent satiation too. And truthfully, I love getting to hang out with you online. The relationships I've found here have been the best part. :o) love to you, cowgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a stunning photo, K. It captures all that and more. love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that really milk, or is it golden cream? Look at the color of that glass of health. I remember this photo well..and the dioramas too.

    To cull. It's a world a metaphor.

    ReplyDelete