Saturday, January 28, 2012

An open letter response via my friend to Jamie Oliver's Victory over McDonalds.

You know what occurred to me? The correlation between our insides and hot house tomatoes. I know back in the 80s in Boone folks were talking about how menstrual flow was unclean - waste, an elimination of toxins. I think that's wrong. Those six tablespoons are the monthly proceeds of all the best that homosapiens have to offer. Its the most holy fertile ground, made of the best nutrients our bodies can summon plus magic. When you look at it under a microscope, its different from blood. If I remember this correctly (I may be confusing menstrual blood with fertile mucous) it has a fern pattern. FOR REAL! It looks like a bouquet of fern fronds. For all the world, as if you literally plan to nestle your baby into the safest loamy green dappled star dusted mossy hollow of an ancient Sequoia guarded by primordial ferns. It also smells like flowers. I mean that in a literal way. And yes, I would let you smell my Diva cup. All midwives know the sweet smell of the womb.

That's what menstrual flow is. But I've noticed through my life that the tone, color, and consistency of the flow changes. And its taken me all these years to correlate those changes with my diet. Back in the 80s about four months after I left home and started feeding myself, I noticed it for the first time. I said to my friend Michelle: "My period looks like Black Cherry soda that's been mixed with corn starch, isn't that weird." Well I was onto something.

That sentence echoes in my mind now. Because NOW (and why did this take twenty years?) I finally understand the simple truth of it. Its obvious right? My flow was affected by what I was eating. Which
basically was a lot of soda, corn starch solids, donuts, corn chips, etc. The description of the flow just accidentally happened to reflect or allude to the problem. (Its so weird when life appears to use literary device. You can't make this shit up.)

You are what you eat. And everyone is eating hot house tomatoes (at best.) Those colorless plasticine flavorless industrial freaks. And everyone has accepted that as normal. And our insides become that.
When they should be, and our flow should be, much more like an organic heirloom biodynamic sun warmed just picked August born Purple Cherokee with bright rain washed green basil leaves on the side. That's how nature planned it.

Humans are so stupid. And I'm making you read something way too long. And you know all this anyway. Sorry. But anyway, yeah. Its all very political and freaky and it matters a lot. But I wish we didn't have
to think about it. Society is consuming itself in a circular truth - commercial shit in commercial shit out. We changed nature's circle of consumption from one that is self sustaining to a declining spiral of inverted fertility. What is happening in our bodies is reflecting or mirroring or simply connected to and a part of what is happening on the planet.

You actually are what you eat. Why does that simple cliche feel like such a startling revelation? Duh. OMG girls raised on pink slime Mcnuggets will have pink slimy wombs. And babies conceived in pink slime..... Why isn't the connection between food and cancer/allergies/asthma/and inflammatory disease more obvious to folks?

3 comments:

  1. Bravo! Well said.

    Jamie Oliver is a personal friend? That's exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this bit...another interesting possibility, and an indicator of the sort of repercussions possible if we continue ignoring the fact that we are a system. (G.I.G.O. garbage in, garbage out). It's perhaps a little far-fetched but it caught my attention: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-155705/Can-Pill-make-Crowe.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That is an interesting idea, CC. Jamie Oliver is not a personal friend. Though I am beginning to personally feel quite friendly toward him, because of the good work he's doing.

    ReplyDelete