Sunday, November 27, 2011

Who wasn't threatened as a child by the specter of "The Starving Children In Africa" and what were we American kids supposed to do about them?  I didn't know then and I don't know now.   But I have news for you.  Children in Africa are also threatened to eat well, by their parents, because of the starving children in Africa.  Only, these starving children are in residence.  Not in theory but actually.  So for instance, you're five and you're sitting with your Mum eating.  Later that day when you go to town, you will see the starving ones.

Does that give you pause?  It did me.  I've been hearing about these hungry kids for so long, I suppose I had unconsciously mentally morphed them into hungry ghosts, hoped they were a myth, figured they grew up already, or actually had quit thinking of them at all.

Our friends from South Africa, Russel and Elsje, are spending the weekend with us.  Its been wonderful fun.  They took us out last night for an Italian dinner and we reciprocated in a coffee shop down the street with Italian gelato.  (Wow, we're getting mighty multicultural for our little podunk redneck town.)  After we were finished eating (so much), strolling, laughing, and enjoying the Christmas lights which were quite charming, we got in the car to go home.  Looking back I saw Elsje's unfinished gelato cup perched delicately and cleanly near the inner rim of the trash can.

Its a habit of her's left over from childhood in Namibia.  She used to carefully leave the second half of her drink on but not in the trash.  Just in case, for The Starving Children to find.  Because she could actually see them.  I listened to her talking about her chocolate drinks in Namibia in silence as I drove home in the dark, feeling very full, very happy, very lucky.  And humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment