Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I took this picture of myself because I'm the one who is always holding the camera.  And I don't want my kids to arrive in old age with tons of pictures of themselves and none of me.  Because I have no pictures of my Grandmother Julia, and that sucks.  She believed allowing a picture was an act of immodesty.  She was wrong, it was an act of self erasure.  She was lovely.  Wouldn't it be cool if I had pictures of her to show my kids?  After all, its because of her that I spent a big part of my childhood on the coast every summer.  And its because of her, I'm brash and speak my mind.  And I see her teeth in my daughter's mouth.  And she is our history.  So yeah, I took my own picture.  Which should be cool -- should guarantee a good shot.  This was the best I could do.  And as I snapped the shutter (do digital camera's have shutters?) I was confident I had a happy content friendly smile on my face.  I felt happy and content and I was trying to smile.  Do I look happy?  Or do I looked kind of pissed off?
Yeah, I thought so too.  Well, no surprise as I am often feeling generally pissed off.  I mean, if you aren't angry, what are you thinking about?  Even Jesus was angry, Very Angry.  Or as my brother said, "I breathe anger."  Dear brother...here's one of the both of us in much more innocent times.  We were young and we were improving.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, excellent post and wonderful pictures. love, Val

    ReplyDelete